Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Out of My Mind- The book not just me

Out of My Mind is a book about a girl who has cerebral palsy.  It was currently one of our most popular titles and it was on the WIRC list.  I also remembered Abby booktalking it last year and liking it, so I thought I would give it a shot. 

The main character, Melody, has never spoken a word or been able to walk.  Many people make assumptions about her based on this.  She is quite intelligent, but without the ability to talk she has never been able to express this.  Melody does have a gift in her wonderful, supportive parents who defend her and have the instinct that she is brilliant.

This was a beautiful story, but do be prepared for a cry page.

3 comments:

  1. I love this book! I can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to speak or communicate with those around you. I actually knew a girl like this from college. She went on to become a special education teacher. I agree with Mrs. Kozuch that you will cry but you will also laugh while reading. I love the way that Sharon Draper writes. She really has the talent of painting pictures with words and helping the reader "see" what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this book but it sounds like it would be a great fit with Unit D Genetics!

    ReplyDelete